Today I’m analyzing a 4 bedroom Detroit investment property in Redford,MI. Redford is a working-class suburb located west of the city of Detroit. Take a look at my analysis of this property and let me know if you agree. You can also send me an email with additional questions or to learn more about this property.
Detroit Investment Property Overview – Redford,MI
- Market: Metro Detroit Area
- Listing Price: $79,900
- Rehab Estimate: N/A
- Address: Rockland, Redford, MI 48239
- Beds / Baths / Sq Ft: 4 beds / 2 baths / 1,296 sq ft
- Property Description: Great for first-time home owner or Investor! Beautiful, well maintained 4 bed, 2 bath Cape Cod w/ central air, separate laundry area, spacious back yard w/ patio, detached 2 1/2 car garage. All appliances are included. Currently Tenant occupied paying $1000.00 monthly. Lease ending July 15, 2017. 24-hour notice to show. Property has passed Redford city inspections as well as Section 8 inspections & requirements. Motivated Seller! Make an offer!
Neighborhood Grade: C
- Median Income: $50,113
- Poverty Rate: 14%
- Unemployment Rate: 15%
- % with Bachelor’s Degree: 19%
- % of Renters: 18%
The zip code 48239 is in-line with the average for the metro area on key economic factors and the median annual income is higher than average at $50k.
Rental Price Expectations: $1,000/mo
The vast majority of rental properties in this area are 3 bedrooms and typically range in size from 950-1,200 sq feet. These homes generally rent for $950-1,200 per month with a median of $1,100. This investment property offers average square footage for the area. We have assumed rent of $1,000 per month, which is what the current tenant is paying.
$1,000/mo is very affordable when compared to the area’s median income which is over 50.1x the monthly rent. There should be a large group of area residents who can comfortably afford the proposed price.
Annual Expense Expectations: $6,938 (58% of gross rent)
- Property Taxes: $2,021
- Insurance: $1,000
- Property Management: $1,750 (assumes 1.75x monthly rent)
- Vacancy: $667
- Maintenance: $1,000
- Other: $500
The expenses for this property are generally in-line with industry standards with the exception of property taxes, which are below the typical 2x rent. Since this is a C-level neighborhood I have a assumed one month of vacancy every 18 months and 0.50 month of cushion for unexpected expenses.
Property management is set at ~1.75 months rent. This factors in regular monthly management fees along with various other new tenant and lease renewal fees that companies may charge.
|At Listing Price
||At Recommended Price
I have analyzed this Redford investment property assuming a financed purchase. With a neighborhood grade of C, I would normally target a minimum annual return of 12% with an additional 3% margin of safety. I think 2% annual appreciation of ~$1,598 is a reasonable expectation. Here the offer price of $79,900 is attractive although I would start with an offer of $73,000 to boost the annual return above 12% before adding appreciation.
Note that this property will also benefit significantly from deducting annual depreciation of more than $2,638/yr.